Harvest Sunset 3 column

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

52 Weeks to an Organized Home-Week 3

52 Week Organized Home Challenge

Last week the challenge for the week was to organize kitchen drawers and cabinets. This task has taken me longer to complete with other things we have going on but I plan to finish it this weekend. In the meantime, I moved on to Week 3 so as not to get far behind.

Week 3 Challenge is Kitchen: Organize Pantry, Spices and Food Storage Areas. I am happy to say I have already completed this one!! I worked on it for a couple hours yesterday and am very happy with the results. Now to be honest, I know there is still some room for improvement. I would like to get some cute baskets or something functional to help corral things like the kids snacks, chip bags, etc... But at least this is a start right??

Here are the before photos:


And a side view




Here is the After


Other Side


I probably threw away 6 or so boxes, well recycled of course, that were either expired or had one item left in it. I found lots of extra space this way so I could properly organize things AND actually be able to see what is in there. I grouped all my spices together by like items. For example, all the Italian type seasonings, Oregano, Basil etc together and then the spicier stuff like Cumin, Paprika, Chili powder and then the sweet and/or baking spices together like Cinnamon, Powdered sugar & All Spice together. This will hopefully keep me from buying duplicate spices and also being able to tell quickly what I need to replace.


I also realized I have a gazillion different types of oatmeal in there. I think we will be eating oatmeal a lot more often for a while!

Since I made more room on the shelves, I was able to put things on the bottom shelf that had been on the floor, like the potatoes and onions. My plan is to get a hanging hook for these so they can hang underneath the bottom shelf and not take up much space.

Overall I have found it very refreshing to open up the door and be able to clearly look at my food items and not have to dig for anything!

If you feel like you need to get some organizing done, head over to Home Storage Solutions 101 to get started on the weekly challenges!!

1 comment:

  1. I sooooo need to do this!!! My pantry needs a complete makeover!

    www.southerngirlsecrets.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...