Harvest Sunset 3 column

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Beef & Vegetable Pot Pie

So Sunday night as I was trying to figure out what's for dinner at 5:30 in the evening, I came across this recipe on Allrecipes.com. After not having a menu plan for last week, I was scrambling to get something made and to not eat out again! The only meat item I had not frozen was some lean ground beef. We had already had mexican the night before so that was out. This recipe seemed easy enough and sounded like some good comfort food!!!

I had 2 frozen pie crusts, mixed frozen veggies and the ground beef. I was missing several other items needed for the recipe listed so I just changed it up to suit what we had :)

Ingredients:
1 lb lean ground beef
1/4 of an onion, chopped (didn't have onion powder, plus we like onions!)
1 cup diced, peeled potatoes
1 cup frozen mixed veggies, thawed
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 14.5 oz can vegetable broth (beef broth might be better as recipe suggest but I didn't have any)
2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce (I did this since I didn't have beef broth to add more flavor)
Salt and pepper to taste

2 frozen pie crusts- set out to thaw slightly for 10 min.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees & preheat metal sheet pan for baking. Brown beef and onions in a medium skillet. While browning, add worschestire, salt and pepper. Drain any excess fat. Pour beef into one pie crust, followed by the potatoes and vegetables on top. Set aside.

Using the same skillet as browned beef, melt the butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Slowly add the broth. Bring to a boil & continue to stir for 2 minutes, until thickened like a gravy. Pour the mixture over the vegetables & beef. Put the other crust on top and pinch the edges together to create the "pie". Cut a few slits in the dough on top. Put the pie on top of your heated baking sheet and place it in the oven. Bake for approx 30-35 min, or until the pie crust is browned and the insides are bubbling.

*Quick Tip* To cut down on the baking time, I boiled my cup of potatoes in a bowl of water in the microwave for about 3 min, just to slightly soften them before putting them in the pie.

Also one more note, as some reviewers said on the original recipe, they needed more gravy/sauce. So in anticipation of that I added just slightly more flour, broth & butter to make a little more gravy. There ended up being plenty so I may have been able to use the original amount listed. It is up to you how much you like!

This was a hit with my husband and even my 5 yr old, who at first look said "I am not eating that!" I convinced her to give it a try and she loved it. My 2 yr old was a little tricky but that's with pretty much everything! I did get her to eat a few bites. One pie made enough for our family of 4 with one serving leftover. I'm wondering if this can be done with an extra pie & all of the steps followed except baking and then freezing it for another meal??? Planning ahead for meal ideas once the baby is here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...